Tuesday, October 6, 2009

what a great weekend


We checked out a bazillion books on Fall/Autumn/Harvesting at the library. We had been reading them all week. Zach and Lily were feeling pretty confident that they could identify fall paraphernalia if they ran into it. Saturday evening, they grabbed little plastic bags and off we went to gather pine cones, acorns, leaves of many colors and seed pods. Seed pods were their favorite. new word I think. So this is Lily, the following day at Grandma's house, with another SEED POD she found!
Sunday morning we went on a nostalgic walk with my parents. Nostalgic because we walked this trail all.the.time. when I was younger. It's a nature sanctuary behind Park University. Park was established in 1875 and part of the original concept was that students received free tuition and boarding in exchange for working half their day at the college's farm, electrical shop or printing plant. On the trails, you can still visit the old root cellar where students stored their harvest.

We also learned the meaning behind the 'Old Kate' trail. Old Kate was the college's faithful donkey that hauled water to the buildings every day. She served 12 years. On the day that the university first pumped water using their new pipe system, Old Kate, who was 32 years old, laid down and died. I guess she knew the students would be ok. I love stories like that. I love places with lots of history.

To me, these woods are magical. Waterfalls, beaver dams, butterfly meadows. It's very common to run into deer, wild turkey and other wildlife. But, not this day. My kids found it enchanting too. And they made sure to exclaim it as they raced up and down the hills yelling at the top of their lungs. I'm pretty sure any animals within a mile radius knew we were coming.

Maybe next time we'll work on the concept of being quiet in the woods. This was not that day. There were simply too many things to be exuberant about.

9 comments:

Isaura said...

looks like such a fun time.
these pictures are so reminiscent of fall! and your little lily is so cute.

Jill Revell said...

i'm so jealous! i love the colors, the waterfall, the leaves...oh how i miss Fall. i love the picture of Roman smiling...too cute! i can't believe how big zach and lily look. what a great weekend!

Unknown said...

I love that your kids get to experience some of the amazing things you do as a kid. What a great way to pass pieces of your childhood onto them.

That photo of Roman could make even the hardest of peoples heart smile! He's darling!

Stacy F said...

How fun! I've never been there before. I'll have to check it out sometime :)

Whit said...

I miss Missouri woods.

Knowles Family said...

When I read your posts that include your family and all the things you do with your little ones that you did as a kids, I almost cry! I'm so glad you're finally home and can share that with them! And I'm jealous that your home has such amazing autumns! I rally miss Missouri this time of year! Thanks for sharing the pictures. Enjoy some of that beautiful, crisp fall air for me!

Nicole said...

Fall is the best time for walks and exploring! Great stories about Park - I've always enjoyed that campus. So beautiful.

Christy said...

i just love that top picture of lily and her face in the bottom one. so expressive! looks like such a good time!

Holbrook's said...

I love nature walks! I love your blog, it almost always brings a smile to face and tears to my eyes!!