Monday, August 10, 2009

A Progression



If someone told me four years ago that while looking at my dinner I would be awed by the beauty and be unable to take a bite until I had photographed my plate...well, I would have laughed. A hearty laugh.
*
In anticipation of my first child I bought two cameras. Disposable ones. Each with 24 exposures, and sadly, they lasted for my baby's ENTIRE first year. I get a little wistful thinking about all the pieces of life that my eye would see now. The pieces that would surely find their way onto my camera.
*
Often, I am too embarrassed to say that photography has become a hobby. I don't feel worthy. I am ultra-aware of my weaknesses and lack of knowledge. Sometimes I think of my friend Stacy. After watching her daughter take piano lessons for a few months, she decided that SHE would give it a try as well. As her teacher, I was astounded at how fast she progressed. How diligent and devoted she was. Watching her develop this new talent was so inspiring to me.
*
Now I take pictures. Or try to. And surprisingly what I like best about this new journey is not my growing pile of photographs. (Although a few years from now, I imagine they will be a treasure) What I appreciate the most is how my view of the world around me has changed, expanded. There is so much beauty. And somehow, it is simultaneously simple and complex.

10 comments:

Whit said...

You are so good at it too! I hope to someday pick up this hobby (when I find myself with a few extra hours in the day and dollars in the bank, ha!) Hey, when you get the chance, will you text me your home address?? I need to send you something!

Thanks for everything. You have helped me more than you know, I think. Love, Whitney

Nicole said...

you really take fabulous photos! don't we have the same camera, how come your pictures look so good!!!??? seriously that dish, yumm-o! however it would not have stopped me from diving in. i like how it came right after the picture of the 2 cuties staring at eachother. :)

Lora said...

You couldn't have said that any better! You are fabulous at what you do and inspiring for those of us who share the same passion!

meg said...

I think I like to take pictures because it's so validating - that's my me, my life, my pretty babies, I was here. You take beautiful pictures; enjoy developing your talent.

Isaura said...

ahh yes, my sentiments exactly.
i've always loved photography and never felt like i could properly express myself through it until my husband got me my current camera almost 2 years ago. i always felt like the pictures in my head never matched what i was producing with my tiny point and shoots.
photography is something that has really stirred up passion in me, although i too feel clueless about it sometimes. anyway, your progression has produced lovely pictures by the way. and don't even get me started on photo-ing food!! I've been know to take many a plate hostage, ask my husband. :)

Jill Revell said...

I love Roman's smile!

You are seriously a talented photograher. You just have that eye for the right angle/lighting/etc. Plus you are super creative.

What is in the tomatoes?

Holbrook's said...

BTW...your pics are AMAZING! I think you are sooo talented!!

Nicole said...

You have a beautiful talent, Tara - embrace it!!!

Christy said...

what darling pictures of your little guys. i still can't believe you never took pictures until recently. blows my mind because you are SO good at it.

i love the story of the mom learning to play the piano. i think far too often we think we can't learn something new because we're not kids. love it when people step out of that mentality.

Sean and Janet Eyring said...

Can I just say that I look forward to your blog mostly for the awesome pictures you take (although I do heartily chuckle at your writing as well!)
Keep it up, and make some money on the side photo-ing other people's kids!