Monday, February 16, 2009

Because...


...to be honest, by the end of a lot of days, the only creative thing I engage in is cooking our dinner. Stress reliever. And even though it is dark by 6pm, and I'm standing under florescent apartment lighting, I can think of summer time. Or some other distant and lovely time, when the tomatoes and basil might actually come from my yard. I love that Miss Lily sits on the counter to supervise and beg tomato pieces, and Zach comes in to tell me, "Mom, I still don't think I'm big enough to like spinach, but I'll try it again." I think it's funny that all the splatters and mess tend to land on my ever growing belly.
A few months ago Dave and I were reminiscing about the meals of our first year of marriage. All 3 things I knew how to cook involved some sort of creamed soup. But I was good at potatoes...baked, mashed, fried, Au gratin, twice-baked, scalloped, hash browns, wedges, potato soup, potato salad, potato pancakes. We ate hundreds of spuds due to the fact that a sweet older lady at Dave's workplace had a son who was a potato farmer. Pity potatoes for the college students. Boy I'd give anything to have a journal that chronicled those dinner days.

11 comments:

kat and jason said...

i love it!!! good for you enjoying dinner time cooking. you make it sound so special. i usually hate making dinner b/c the kids are hungry and crying and pulling on my legs like knats.i can barely get anything done. you are a great mom.!! call me-i have news. and you never called me back from my last message :(

Jill Revell said...

um...that looks good. can't you come cook dinner for us :)

Christy said...

so... is it a bad thing that all the dinners i know how to cook still involve creamed soups? :)

and i love that zach isn't quite big enough to like spinach, but willing to try. he he.

also, looks like a YUMMY dinner. sweet.

Isaura said...

your dinner looks delish!!
hey..i have that pepper mill ;) great minds think alike.
Your potato days sound very creative. We ate some crazy things as newly weds too. Like the time we were craving chips and queso. After church one sunday we melted a whole block of velveeta and threw in a can of rotel and that was our lunch and dinner. After that we were pretty much disgusted with ourselves. We laugh about it now!

Bailey Family said...

I miss dinners cooked by Tara! I loved being invited over for dinner or just stopping in around dinner to reap the rewards of a yummy dinner. Hopefully we will be able to have a few of those times again soon. I love those decorative towels in the picture! Someone with great taste must have given those to you! I need to "enjoy" cooking dinner more...maybe someday!

shakenbake said...

You're almost to the 30 week mark! For some reason, I always felt like breathing a sigh of relief when I hit 30 weeks. I must need to be married longer before I learn to stop relying on cream of (fill in the blank) soup to "bring it all together" at dinner. It is pretty cool though that Nick thinks it tastes so good when most of the meals include about 3-4 ingredients (of course one of which is the soup).

Claire said...

Zach is hilarious---and really cute---maybe he should marry Ruby. Anyway, I am thinking that, since we both love to cook, we should start a gourmet club. That is, if you ever live close to us again...what do you think?

Zach 'n' Jack said...

ummm...by the end of most days, if i haven't felt creative so far, dinner isn't where I would start! I should be more like you ;-) You motivate me. As of late, I have been a MAJOR slacker on dinner. I mean, with zach not coming home from school until late, who wants to make dinner for just me and keeg? kayden usually throws his food on the floor ;-) wish i could come eat with you!!!

Claire said...

ummm, like...for GOOD?!

Missy said...

Ok. I want your dinner, your kitchen tools and your way of writing.

Missy said...

Wait, how did you get Zach to say such a thing? I about died at that.